Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Mortality

I found a new blog the other day, Spotted Dog Farm via Border Wars, I think. It's stuck with me over the weekend. It's the personal weblog of the director of an animal control/shelter, showing honestly the good and the bad she sees every day. Many of the photos are presented without much comment or editorial, be they hopeful or awful. It's one of the few blogs I have seen from shelter insiders that isn't using death for shock value or to aggressively push an agenda, but an honest portrayal of what happens day to day, and I think a release. I admire her strength, I don't think I could ever do what she is doing. I'm not nearly that strong. I'm not sure I want to be.

A friend's dog passed away on Sunday night. He could be a little difficult to handle (the dog, I mean) and I was going to drop by on Monday morning to help get him to the vet for an unrelated routine checkup and some immunizations. Instead he went from healthy to gone at random in a matter of hours.

Jessie came back from her own vet visit on Sunday, and I got the follow-up phone call from the vet on Monday. They started considering her a "senior" this year, although her exact age has proved very difficult to lock down, and she's getting some of the conditions that come with being a senior. I've seen her slowing down a little over the course of the past year - a little more reluctant to make the jump into the truck, a little grumpier, a little more grey around the jowls. It's looking like her condition will be manageable but chronic, and certainly not unusual for a senior dog, but it's forcing me to think about the day that will eventually come when she will be gone. I just hope I can do right by her and make every day that we have together count.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Plse keep us tuned in WRT Jessie.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

The fact that you are conscious of your responsibility to Jessie and concerned about your actions means that you will do nothing but right by her.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm sorry abt your friend's doggie. I read all of the spotteddog web offering-It really is awful to look at some of those photos....

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page