Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Some Great Dogs Miss Out

I was down at the shelter the other day and there were some potential adopters looking at dogs with our adoption coordinator. I passed by walking Sampson and she suggested they meet him, telling them that he's one of our favorite pit bulls (and he is, he's a very sweet dog). Well, the moment they heard "pit bull"... you might as well have just said "hey, I'd like you to meet my cousin, the child molester". As he came over to investigate them they shrank back as if he might attack at any moment.

It kills me, how difficult it is to adopt these guys out. They don't get any nicer than Sampson. He's a great dog and a great ambassador for his breed. If only someone would get past that he's a pit bull and investigate him as an individual, he'd have a home in no time flat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah said...

If only Gracie would allow it...but I have a feeling she would crawl up her own furry butt if she saw him....or any dog...it's nothing against Sampson...Gracie is just a one famiily, go the hell away and leave me with my people - kind of cat.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

It really is a shame, isn't it? So many of them really are great dogs but they're given virtually no chance in our society. I have two dogs, both 1/2 pit, and they're both fantastic - particularly the older one, who just wants to be loved.

BTW, I'm a big fan of your blog!!

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page