Sunday, June 15, 2008

Something Really, Really Special in the Air

I flew American Airlines today. Wow. They used to be my regular airline and I still have a heck of a lot of frequent flier miles with them, which is why I ended up with a frequent flier ticket.

Well.. anyone want to buy some frequent flier miles?

I was happy to score myself an aisle seat in an exit row of an ancient 757. The average age of AA's planes is on the old side at 14.7 years, and I'm guessing that this was one of those planes that was skewing the average high.


Here's what greeted me as I sat down in my seat - this is the wall at the window seat. That stain? That's vomit. From the look/smell of it, fairly recent tomato-juice based vomit, I'd say. As my seatmates joined me a chorus of complaint began, and as the plane was only half-full the flight attendants elected to move everyone who was bothered by the smell.


A shot from the seat I was moved to - that plastic object is a cover from the seat tracks that the seats are mounted to. Just sittin' there on the floor.

When we pushed back from the gate and prepared to taxi to the runway, the power failed. All power. Whole plane. We had to be towed back to the gate, I assume for a jump-start, then back to sitting on the runway for the 2 hours of sitting there that is de rigueur in today's air-travel world.


Here's the restroom. That cabinet won't stay closed. I was standing at the toilet lurching about with that cabinet banging into me.

My American flying experience was akin to a long-distance journey in a 1972 Ford Pinto. In the future, I'm sticking to JetBlue. And maybe Virgin, which I've never flown but I hear good things about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Remember the text I sent you last week about the urine soaked seat ...yep, you guessed it AA. Did you also notice that the flight attendants and pilots CAN'T STOP TALKING? I mean, I have never heard so many superfluous intercom announcements. At first I got annoyed, and then it became so ridiculously funny that it was the favorite inside joke of the bachelorette party.

I'm flying AA business class to St. Martin....think they include earplugs with the premium seats?

Thank god the Phoenix trip is Jetblue.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Hawk said...

Am I wrong or is the plane being held together with masking tape in that first picture?

3:17 PM  
Blogger -J. said...

That's what I thought at first too, but they're actually "security seals". Really, really old security seals that have had all of the printing bleached off of them by the sun.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page