Sunday, August 03, 2008

First Week

Well, we're now at the close of the first week of my employment out here in Kanab, so it's time for the update.

I'll admit, when I walked into my accommodations for the first time, I had that what-have-I-done feeling. I couldn't afford a long-term hotel stay and I wasn't comfortable looking for long-term housing from outside of town, so I took a month-to-month semi-furnished room sight unseen here in the middle of town. Lets just say... it'll do for now. No kitchen, which is a huge pain, but a microwave and mini-fridge and it's quite quiet and calm. I've done a lot of apartment hunting since then which has been difficult; it's quite a tight rental market here and tighter still when you have dogs (as is the case pretty much everywhere). I'm toying with the idea of buying an inexpensive RV and parking it in one of the many surrounding RV parks. At any rate, I can stay here as long as I need to (and I've now fully nested) and keep looking.

The main entrance to Best Friends

Work has been... well, wonderful. I had hoped after several trips as a volunteer and my two week trial period that I really had a feel for what it would be like, and I seem to have gotten an accurate impression. My fellow caregivers are wonderful people and have gone out of their way to help me out and make me feel welcome. I'm learning tons and am trying to make fewer embarrassing mistakes each day - so far, so good. I work in a complex of 2 octagonal buildings called Conrad & Leopold (one building is Conrad, one is Leopold) that together house around 40 dogs (I really should count one of these days). Each building has six runs in it clustered around a central core, each run has a large outdoor area and a climate-controlled indoor area.

Dogtown HQ

I haven't taken any pictures this week because I've been so busy, so these are photos from previous trips. When things become a little more routine for me I'm sure I'll start posting some pictures and introducing you all to some of the wonderful dogs I work with - I'm also trying hard not to get Dooced, not that I think that's terribly likely. Conrad and Leopold's has a great mix of dogs - "green collars", who can interact with anyone, staff or volunteer, one or two "purple collars", who can interact with anyone over the age of 18 (either because they're scared of kids or because they're big and physical, but friendly), and a good number of "red collars", who are staff only dogs. All are considered adoptable to the right person, and indeed a good many of the dogs in my area would make fabulous companions to a wide variety of people. Others might need an experienced person or an exceptionally understanding one. There's someone out there for all of them, I hope; the affectionate pit bull with the giant head and expressive eyes that I like to call Pumpkinhead, our pair of gentle, stately gay older gentlemen, our incontinent tripod who demands your attention - or he'll nip you, the shy ferals, the bossy lab. It's a great group and I love them all.

The view from the open-air porch outside the BF cafeteria

I come home every day exhausted (it's very physical work; we're outside a lot and it's about 100 degrees during the day here) but very happy. I've been sleeping soundly at night and I'm even beginning to get used to waking up at the crack of dawn.

Kanab itself is an interesting place... conservative doesn't even begin to describe it - I'm hoping to get to the town pool soon and see if I can spot a bikini. It's definitely a slower pace than I'm used to and it's not a hotbed of activity - for instance, there's one movie theater that shows one movie, once per day, 4 days per week. I'm hoping it will be a great lesson for me to slow my own pace down and have more time for reflection, reading and writing - and less for rushing around. There are a few surrounding communities that are even smaller but less restrictive and that's where I'll be focusing my search for a place to live in the next few weeks.

7 Comments:

Blogger Stew Magoo said...

Hey I'll put up a donation if you want to de-conservativize the town by getting the first Corset...

lol

No seriously. On me.

rolling|floor, etc

8:56 PM  
Blogger Hawk said...

Dooced?

Besides that. Glad you're getting along well.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Chilly said...

That small town life can hit you in places you didn't even think of, so be careful. I hope you make tons of friends soon (they are a great buffer against small town minds) and find juuuuuust the right place to live.

Congrats!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I'm with Hawk - dooced? See I knew it he's already using sanctuary lingo - now for all of us people who aren't as wonderful as you?

:) Can you tell I'm jealous? Really really jealous. I gotta get out there!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous cath p said...

so happy for you! tell BF staff we say HI!!!!!! and that we all hope to see them soon

1:46 PM  
Blogger -J. said...

Dooced is actually blogger slang, it means to get fired for something you said in your blog.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dooced

5:39 PM  
Blogger Hawk said...

Blogger slang?! HGOO!

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page