Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ginger

Though Ginger's life has improved greatly over the past year, there is still a torture that was never foisted upon her back at the puppy mill where she spent her life in a wire cage cranking out litters of pups, an affront to her dignity that occurs only at my hands.

I'm talking, of course, about bathtime.

She starts looking for a place to hide as soon as she hears the bathtub filling, because she knows that her fate is certain. Jessie, on the other hand, is less concerned, having mastered basic issues of dog hygiene like not urinating on herself as well as the more advanced not rolling in stinky things.

Once the tub is filled I have to sit in it with Ginger to prevent her from wriggling free, and she struggles as she is shampooed. Only once we begin the rinsing does she give in to the inevitable and relax, fixing me with an accusatory glare. When the rinsing is done and the tub is draining she scrabbles at the sides to be freed, diving into the towel to get the offending water off of her as quickly as possible. After she is sufficiently dry she will jump back up onto the bed to roll around in the covers and try to relieve herself of the last bits of dastardly moisture. The bed may be wet now, but at least the smell is an improvement as I am fixed in the glare of the sodden, indignant post-bath spaniel.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

What a beautiful face !!

2:42 PM  
Blogger jimmy the LD said...

My beagle Gracie has the EXACT same little "moustache." How awesome!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Stew Magoo said...

Hooman punishment = "teh stare"

You are a cruel, cruel hooman.

After I give Chloe the muppet a bath (which she hates slightly less than Ginger) she runs around. I keep her off the bed but everything on the floor is fair game. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

I would put another dry towel down on the floor/carpet for my cocker after her bath. Perhaps Ginger would use that instead of the bed?

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Oh we used to go through this with Bea all the time. That wide eyed look of "why do you do this to me?" It was difficult to explain to her that rolling IN the deer crap was the reason for the bath....she though it was the next logical step AFTER the bath......

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Oh we used to go through this with Bea all the time. That wide eyed look of "why do you do this to me?" It was difficult to explain to her that rolling IN the deer crap was the reason for the bath....she though it was the next logical step AFTER the bath......

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Now, I have given Ginger a bath, and thought she didn't LOVE it, I didn't have to get IN the tub with her nor did she try to wriggle free. She was actually pretty submissive and she got TWO complete lathers and rinses (due to the self-urination issue). I would be happy to share my Ginger-washing techniques with you. It involves tupperware.

:)

PS- I gave Asta a glowing review. She probably thinks you paid me for it. I might have overdone it.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Frosty said...

Oh but she's SO BEAUTIFUL!

With Theo it is ...The Brush. He can't run fast enough when he sees me pick it up and he's nearly impossible to brush because of how violently he wriggles. But what else can I do about the dreads in his legpits? How many matted wads of fur will I have to clip off of him in his lifetime?

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Kara said...

john, try bathing a cat sometime. i think we should compare war stories.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page