Saturday, August 16, 2008

Gratuitious Vegetarian Blogging

One of the things I'm genuinely enjoying living out here in the sticks is the ability to refocus on the simple things.

The saturday morning farmers' market has become very important to me since discovering it 3 weeks ago. It's just a few blocks away and there's some good stuff, frequently cheaper than the supermarket. I made the mistake of going this morning without eating breakfast first and was immediately spotted by a woman selling giant cream puffs. Easiest $2 she ever made.

Random cream puff pushers notwithstanding, I have been making an effort to cut down on dairy products since going vegetarian. It's so difficult to determine how the animals have been treated who produce your food - and I know of some of the certification programs, like Certified Humane, but most products of those programs are not available in this small town. So I was very happy this morning to meet a woman who raises chickens in her backyard and sells eggs! I bought a dozen to try - they happen to be a great deal, too. They look very different than supermarket eggs, with variances in size, color and markings. Once I arrived home I made a Thai vegetable stir fry and threw in three eggs - the first cracked open with a double yolk, considered a lucky omen. They're delicious - I can even taste them through the yellow curry, very rich. I'm glad to have found them. It's too bad not many people in this area keep dairy cows in their yard...

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

That's great! Even here, it's not easy to find Organic Valley cottage cheese and it costs 2 1/2 times what other brands cost. Our town has turned down Whole Foods opening here. Needless to say, that's soo disappointing! They also turned down the town pool (again).

12:49 PM  
Blogger -J. said...

Well, not having the Whole Foods will leave you with a lot more spending money, at least!

I still haven't been to the town pool, although now that I can wear my bikini it's worth considering.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Chilly said...

I'm glad you're able to find food alternatives in your new digs. Back in NC there were so few choices of fresh foods - Southerners don't believe in veggies or even begin to understand non-meat eaters. And living in the town that annually hosts the state barbecue festival... Well, let's just say it was difficult.

As far as milk products go, I'm sure there's a local dairy with some organic options nearby. Creativity is essential when trying to achieve vegetarianism in a carnivorous society. :)

By the way, I have a killer veg pie recipe if you need one.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Emily said...

Another label to look for is Animal Welfare Approved (www.AnimalWelfareApproved.org). This program has the most rigorous of any 3rd party certifier, according to the World Society for the Protection of Animals. And it's free for farmers, so the lady you get your eggs from might be interested--good advertising and access to a great network of farmers and advisors (also, a grant program was just announced last month!).

And, Southerners DO believe in veggies--we just believe in cooking them until you can't tell what they started out as!

8:25 AM  
Blogger -J. said...

I'll check on that label, it'd be good to know. I think she's really too low volume to care - she brings about 6 dozen eggs to the market, which is open for 2 hours! I'll ask her about it, though.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page