Monday, August 25, 2008

What More Can We Do?

In every sanctuary there are wonderful dogs that are passed over time and time again for no reason, really - too quiet? Too low-key? Just unlucky?

There's a dog in my area who would be such a perfect companion for a wide variety of people. He's quiet, well-behaved and obedient, knows commands, and enjoys human attention but isn't pushy about it. He's great on a leash. He's a great looking dog. He's fit as a fiddle, healthy as a horse, and a great size - not too big, not too small.

He's been there for 9 years.

I'm taking him to Canine Good Citizen classes hoping it might make him stand out more - he's doing great so far, and I hope he passes - but even if he doesn't he won't miss by much.

I know so many like him. Don't get me wrong, he's not in a bad place and he is by no means unhappy, but it kills me that there are some dogs who are not just good, they're great and they're ready - and they're waiting, waiting, waiting for their shot. I hope he gets his.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frosty said...

I hope this doesn't make me sound trite, because my heart breaks for those dogs and I know there are so many of them, but I feel like I'm one of them. Seriously.

6:19 AM  
OpenID smihalec said...

What are Canine Good Citizen classes - is it more than the basic obedience class?

5:05 PM  
Blogger -J. said...

It's a behavioral certification that covers how the dog interacts with its handler, other people, and other dogs. Obedience is a component.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_Good_Citizen

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page