Friday, October 10, 2008

Stealing Music: AC/DC's "Black Ice"



I've had a soft spot for AC/DC since high school, when my best friend and I thought rolling in his mom's station wagon blasting Back in Black was pretty much the coolest thing ever. Though they probably don't have another Back In Black in them, or even a Razor's Edge, for that matter, I still have a soft spot for their brand of loud, sophomoric tongue-in-cheek cock-rock.

So it was with mixed feelings that I stole their album this afternoon, downloading it from BitTorrent. After all this time it's incredible that some in the music business just don't get it.

AC/DC announced that "Black Ice" will be available in the US exclusively from WalMart, starting on Oct 20. The nearest WalMart is over an hour's drive from my house, and I loathe them. The torrent networks, on the other hand, have the full album available right now for free.

I try to support artists whenever possible - god knows I spend a ton on iTunes. But when you aggressively make it as difficult as possible to purchase your album, even people who want to do the right thing will give up and download it. This short-sighted business decision is going to cost these guys a lot of money.

Oh, and the review? Eh.

2 Comments:

Blogger db said...

Fake wood paneling and all! those were the days... You may just see, "Big D", driving that very truck-ster around the ol' stomping grounds.

I wonder if Wally-world will force them to get their, "sealed-censored-sign-of-approval", before the cd hits the shelves.

2:49 AM  
Blogger ExGubmintLawyer said...

Rationalization...you has it.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page