Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Aurora

One of the things that strikes me regularly working here at BF is the dedication of the employees to the animals that they care for. Although you won't find it in the official job description(s), I don't know of anyone that I work with who does not have a deep, emotional involvement with the animals that they care for on a daily basis. We also tend to have dogs around long enough to really get to know them well and to build a relationship with them.

Frequently that relationship is joyful. Sometimes it's bittersweet, like when one of your favorites gets adopted and you're so happy for them, but sad to see them leave you. Sometimes it can be painful. Some days can be tremendously emotionally draining.

One of the dogs I care for passed away today suddenly. Aurora was beloved by her caregivers and many of the BF staff and volunteers. I got to know her first as a volunteer and was very happy to later become her caregiver. She was a very special dog to me.

Photo by Terrah Johnson


Goodbye, sweetheart. I will miss you terribly. I hope wherever you are there is someone to throw your tennis ball tonight.

I'm not sure I can cry much more than I have in the past few weeks. This may be the hardest job I'll ever love.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chilly said...

My take is that you are a tough guy with a heart of pure gold, John. Those pooches are so lucky to have you to watch over them.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Hawk said...

Hang in there John, you're doing good things.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm sorry abt Aurora, John-It's especially hard to take when it's unexpected....

5:00 PM  
Blogger Frosty said...

Somewhere Aurora is running through a grassy field after a delectable ball and she is young and strong and happy. And she's looking forward to seeing you again - in the very distant future.

I am consistently reminded of what a Great Man you are. What you're doing is monumentally important. There aren't a lot of people with the meatless balls for it, but I'm proud to say that one of them is my friend.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page