Wednesday, August 11, 2010

More Language Navel Gazing

Kathy over at Wisconsin Watchdog recently wrote about five words she'd like to see dropped from the animal welfare vocabulary and I strongly agree with her list... but there's one word that gets tossed around a lot in dog world and it always just makes me a little queasy.

I'm aware of the original, literal meaning of bitch as well as how and why it became a profane insult in our modern lexicon. Maybe it's that I didn't grow up with dogs, maybe it's that I've never been involved with breeding dogs, or maybe I'm just that much of a puritan, but it's not a term I use and it makes me slightly uncomfortable to hear it used. I wonder if others, particularly people without a deep involvement in the animal world, feel the same way?

Or maybe I'm just overreacting.

3 Comments:

Blogger YesBiscuit! said...

I showed dogs both as a hobby and professionally for many years. The words bitch and dog (to denote genders) are used commonly and accurately and frequently in that world. I cut my teeth on them, as it were.
I now make an effort to arrow back over the word bitch and retype in "female" (same with dog/male) simply because I realize John Q Public (and John Q Sibley) don't use the words commonly.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Valerie Hayes said...

It always sounds a little funny to me. Overheard while in the (otherwise silent) waiting room at Cornell University Hospital for Animals: a client saying in a rather loud, somewhat whiny voice, to a veterinarian, "But the bitch is in season now!" Didn't hear the rest of the conversation, but it did ever so slightly liven up an otherwise dull wait.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Maria Mcclain said...

Hey John you have a very interesting blog, i will visit ur blog very often, hope u go for this website to increase visitor.Happy Blogging!!!

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page