Monday, August 02, 2010

Wonderful Local Vets

I have sometimes used this space to take companies to task that have ripped me off or provided me with awful service (are you listening, games-stock.com?) but it's also important to recognize folks providing superior service in their communities, and I thought it was important to make this one a matter of public record and make sure The Google can find it forever.

One week ago, my beloved dog Jessie was the victim of an accidental poisoning. She was not badly symptomatic until nearly 72 hours after ingestion (which I did not know about) but once she became obviously symptomatic, they were very, very bad. When I took her out to use the bathroom in the morning she had more blood coming out of her than I have ever seen. Although I am traveling and away from my usual vet, I have a relationship with a nearby vet and called them immediately - they advised me to bring Jessie to a nearby emergency vet center, the VCA Veterinary Referral and Emergency Center of Norwalk, CT. Doing so saved her life.

We were seen within five minutes of walking in the front door. At the time I had no idea what had happened, but Dr. Ehrlich had some strong suspicions and her most likely guess was absolutely correct. They began treating Jessie immediately, as she was crashing and in grave danger of dying within the next 12 hours. There are vets in the building 24 hours, they continued to work to stabilize her throughout her first night there.

Dr. Ehrlich and the vet who took over the case on her days off, Dr. Mahlberg, were fantastic. They were communicative. They discussed options. They were up front about costs, risks, and the pros and cons of available approaches. They spent a lot of time with me and answered every question completely and with patience and respect. They called me every morning and evening to update me. Their staff tolerated my phone calls with friendliness, good humor and excellent service - and when I finally pieced together exactly what had happened, I was able to contact the overnight vet at 1am to let them know.

They're not cheap, which they were totally upfront about - but that kind of service is worth it and there are few facilities in the area capable of doing what they did for her, and they unquestionably saved her life. I wish most of my interactions in human medicine were so positive.

3 Comments:

Blogger YesBiscuit! said...

What was the offending substance?

7:55 AM  
Blogger -J. said...

Rodenticide. Very scary. She consumed quite a bit of it.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

VRC is GREAT! My beagle is here today thanks to their care. Yeah, it cost me, but he's worth every penny.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Home Page